Social media marketing is constantly evolving. The strategies that worked six months ago may not work as well because the social platforms have changes, your audience has shifted, and Google has changed some of the rules of the game.
Social Media Marketing Mistakes
1. Having no social media strategy
2. Creating accounts on too many platforms too soon
3. Paying for fake followers
4. Talking about nothing but the brand
5. Using irrelevant and excessive hashtags
6. Sharing too much in a short amount of time
7. Forgetting to proofread
8. Neglecting the “social” aspect of social media
The main message is that to be successful on social media, you need to have a plan and an idea of what you want to accomplish. Posting willy-nilly isn’t going to get you customers. You need to connect to real people on social media and that requires a social media presence that serves their needs, not just yours. And you need to create a social media presence that you can actually sustain over the long run, because reaching your marketing goals will take a while.
“Paying for fake followers and neglecting the social aspects show that newer marketers don’t understand why they’re running social campaigns in the first place,” writes Kimberlee Morrison on the Social Times. “Interactivity is the whole point, and if your account looks like a corporate bot, you’ll never cultivate brand advocates.”